As December is winding down, we aren’t only approaching the end of the year… but it’s also the end of a decade. Many people see this calendar change as an opportunity to start fresh by focusing on new habits and practices they would like to develop. Are you putting together a list of New Year’s resolutions you are going to focus on in 2020? Make sure that your dental health is high on your priority list this year.
New Year’s Resolutions to Improve Your Dental Health
Caring for your teeth and gums doesn’t have to be stressful of complicated. A few simple habits can go a long way to ensure that you maintain a beautiful smile for years. Here are a few things to consider if you want to set New Year’s resolutions to care for your teeth and gums:
- Daily Brushing: It is recommended that you should brush your teeth at least twice a day. If you aren’t already doing this, then you can set an alarm clock on your phone to remind yourself to brush in the morning after breakfast, and again before bed.
- Don’t Forget to Floss: While brushing is the foundation of a healthy smile, don’t overlook the importance of flossing as well. Choose a specific time that you are going to floss, such as in the evening, along with your brushing habit. If you find it challenging to stay consistent, consider using tools that make it easy to floss, such as dental floss picks.
- Stop Smoking: Using tobacco not only takes a toll on your dental health, but smoking and chewing tobacco can affect overall health and wellness. Stopping this habit will help you avoid tooth discoloration, gum disease, and other negative effects that come from tobacco use.
- Choose Water Instead of Soda: It’s important to stay hydrated, but sipping on a soda throughout the day can be one of the worst things you can do for your dental health. Every time you take a swig, the sugar from the soda coats your teeth and creates the perfect acidic environment that promotes tooth decay. Try cutting back on your soda consumption, or ditch the soda altogether and choose water instead.
- Regular Dental Cleanings: Every person should visit the dentist at least twice a year for cleanings and a checkup. If you have been putting off your checkup or restorative work that needs to be done, then set a goal to get it done right away. Most dental insurance plans renew at the beginning of the year, which means that you have new coverage for the services that are needed.
If you are looking for personal recommendations to improve your smile, then our team is here to assist. We are working hard to make it simple for you to maintain a smile that you love. You are invited to contact us at myDental to learn more about the ways we can support your New Year’s resolutions. Call to set an appointment at one of our convenient locations.