If you want to transform a less-than-perfect smile into something you are proud to share with the world, then it might be time to talk to a cosmetic dentist about a smile makeover. This personalized approach is designed to help you achieve your desired results, using various treatments that can change the appearance of your smile.
What is a Smile Makeover?
The term “smile makeover” refers to one or more cosmetic dental procedures, designed to meet your unique cosmetic needs. Every smile is different, which is why it’s important to work with an experienced dentist who can help you explore the options. Common treatments for smile makeovers include veneers, implants, crowns, teeth whitening, and Invisalign.
A smile makeover can be immensely gratifying when you see the finished results. Most patients find that their self-image is improved. They are more comfortable sharing their smile with other people. At the same time, smile makeover services can also help to improve the integrity and health of the teeth as well. So, you can enjoy the benefits of improved aesthetics and function at the same time!
Principles of Designing a Beautiful Smile
A cosmetic dentist follows a systematic, organized approach to identify the best treatments for specific aesthetic problems. The goal is to achieve a pleasing composition of the smile that fits the overall size and shape of each person’s face.
These are some of the most important principles of smile design that can help you achieve a stunning smile:
- Ratio: The width and height of each tooth should have a specific ratio (75 – 80%), particularly the front, central incisor teeth that are most visible when you smile.
- Alignment: Crooked and misaligned teeth can be corrected with cosmetic dentistry. Additionally, the teeth should have a slight tilt toward the midline of the mouth.
- Gaps: When there is a gap between the teeth, it can distract from the overall appearance of the smile. These spaces can be closed or filled in to achieve a well-balanced appearance.
- Center: The mid-line point between your two front teeth should be centered on the face. You can draw a line down the nose, lips, and chin and the midline should be straight up-and-down on that line.
- Brightness: The shading and color not only need to be uniform, but you want a bright color of white. Discoloration, dark spots, or darkened teeth can be corrected with a smile makeover.
- Visibility: A slight smile should show between 2 to 4 mm of the upper teeth. Your new smile will be positioned optimally to show optimal amount of teeth with a slight smile.
- Gum Line: Not only do we consider the positioning and appearance of the teeth, but it’s also important to look at how the tum tissue frames the teeth – with a goal to achieve balance and symmetry.
Other points that are considered in your smile makeover plan include the height of the gumline, how the smile line follows the lip line, flossing contact points, proportion ratio, old dentistry, mercury fillings, and more.
What are your goals for a smile makeover? Consider scheduling a consultation to talk to our experienced team. At myDental, we provide full-service care, including general dentistry and cosmetic treatments. Schedule an exam at one of our convenient locations. Call if you would like more information about available services.